HOW STAFF TEAMS CHAMPION GENEROSITY IN THEIR CHURCH
(Texas Ministry Conference Outline 02/16/12)
Shawn Murphy of Generis
“Celebrate generosity – that which gets celebrated in the life of the church gets repeated and grows deep into our culture.” – Generositytweet
- Who owns the GENEROSITY VALUE in your church?
- No matter where you serve on staff, understand how your ministry makes a HUGE IMPACT on how people give.
- Passing the Potato – Too often the whole stewardship/generosity area has been a church staff “hot potato”.
- Serving in Silos – Too often church staffs have operated in ministry silos pursuing their own agenda without regard to the church as a whole.
- Training for Pastors – Too often church staffs have received little to no training or coaching regarding cultivating a generous church culture.
- Taboo Topic – In the church, as in society, personal finance is a highly personal subject.
- Ownership & Purpose – The ownership issue (my money is after all my money, isn’t it?) is an issue that even church staff members struggle with.
- More Than Carry-On – The amount of baggage that money related issues carry with them would cost a fortune in baggage fees in many churches.
- Develop FULLY DEVOTED FOLLOWERS of Christ.
- Free God’s people from the BONDAGE of MATERIALISM.
- Help Fund the GREAT COMMISSION.
How Staff Teams Champion Generosity (12 Ideas for 2012)
- 1) Generous Staff Teams experience generosity MODELED FROM THE HEART by Senior Leadership.
- 2) Generous Staff Teams champion generosity naturally in response to VISION.
- 3) Generous Staff Teams are cultivated in the context of RELATIONSHIP.
- 4) Generous Staff Teams understand generosity as a NATURAL RESPONSE to God’s grace.
- 5) Generous Staff Teams understand generosity as an essential quality of MATURE LEADERSHIP.
- 6) Generous Staff Teams view generosity as FOUNDATIONAL to the discipleship process.
- 7) Generous Staff Teams embrace generosity as a corporate & personal CORE VALUE.
- Generous Staff Teams are encouraged to attend lunch and learns on FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT training as part of continuing education plan.
- 9) Generous Staff Teams are provided generosity RESOURCES and offered generosity EQUIPPING OPPORTUNTIES.
- 10) Generous Staff Teams include generosity value in their MINISTRY PLANS.
- 11) Generous Staff Teams COLLECT, SHARE, and CELEBRATE stories of generosity.
- 12) Generous Staff Teams are CELEBRATED as they are caught in the act of modeling and inspiring the generosity value down-line.
Generis exists to accelerate generosity through God-inspired vision.
Generosity flourishes in three areas: general giving, accelerated giving, and planned giving.
Have a speaking or coaching engagement that you would like to have him speak at?